WWY if you came across these videos?
If, like me, you have a soft spot for the old Second Conditional and its Presentation, Practice and Production (at this point unplugged teachers may like to desist from reading further), but are fed up of asking …
“What would you do if you found a big hairy spider in your bath?” or even worse …
“What would you do if you won the lottery?“
… you may be interested in a “hidden camera”, moral dilemma TV series called What Would You Do?. The series is produced by ABC and is in American English.
Here’s a sample episode! Ask yourself the question below, then watch the video (you may have to click through to Youtube).
“What would you do if you’re sitting in a bar minding your own business and you saw an attractive young woman being persistently harrassed by a male stranger?”
Here’s some more (+ questions)
- Video 1 : What would you do if you were viewing a house for sale when you saw one of the other potential house-buyers putting things in her handbag?
- Video 2 : What would you do if you were in a restaurant when you saw the waiter drop some food on the floor and then put it back on the plate that he was going to serve?
- Video 3 : What would you do if you were in a bar and you saw a drunken young woman being led away by a man that she had just met?
- Video 4 : What would you do if you were in a bar and you saw a couple of pilots who were about leave for the airport obviously drinking too much alcohol?
- Video 5 : What would you do if you witnessed somebody trying to commit fraud by deliberately slipping in a supermarket and then threatening to sue for damages?
- Video 6 : How would you react if you were in a restaurant sitting next to a couple whose kids were screaming and generally misbehaving?
- Video 7 : What would you do if you were in a café and you overheard a young man trying to persuade his pregnant teenage girlfriend to have an abortion?
- Video 8 : What would you do if you saw a group of girls harrassing and insulting another girl for being overweight?
- Video 9 : What would you do if the person you had just let in front of you in a supermarket queue won an enormous cash prize for being “5 Millionth Customer”?
- Video 10 : What would you do if you saw a mother using her child to shoplift from a clothes shop?
- Video 11 : What would you do if you were walking down the street and somebody collapsed on the pavement right in front of you?
- Video 12 : What would you do if you were in a bar and saw a man drugging a young woman’s drink while she was in the toilet?
What I might do with these videos
Here’s a few ideas!
1. Ask your students to discuss the questions in class, then ask them to choose one of the videos to watch for homework. At the beginning of the following class, ask them for a brief explanation of what they learnt from their video.
2. Roleplay : Show your students one of the videos, discuss the issues involved, then ask students to reenact the scene in pairs.
3. Show your students one of the videos with the volume down and ask them to write the dialogue between the people who appear. Stop/start the video to give them time to imagine and write down what the different people say.
4. … what would you do?
Returning to the title of this post (What would you do if you came across these videos?), if YOU have any other ideas on how these videos might be exploited, please leave a comment below! Thanks for dropping by! (Ian James | @ij64)